Milestones in SCORE History
Early in my tenure as a SCORE volunteer, I was always asked who is SCORE? I hope you find this an interesting read and better understanding about SCORE. Proud to be an American and member of dedicated volunteers giving back un-selfishly helping others succeed in the American Dream of owning a business.
SCORE known as the SCORE Association was previously known as the Service Corps of Retired Executives, was re-branded to "Counselors to America's Small Business." Is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that provides free business mentoring services to entrepreneurs in the United States. The organization also provides business workshops and seminars at no cost or low-cost. Business mentoring services are provided at no cost by men and women who are: working, retired business executives, and professionals who donate their time and expertise as volunteers to assist new and established small businesses. SCORE is a resource partner with the U.S. Small Business Administration. SCORE HQ is in Herndon, Virginia.
- 1953 – The Small Business Act was signed into law by President Dwight D. Eisenhower. The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) was created. The law said the federal government “should aid, counsel, assist and protect the interest of small business.” Counseling small business in management practices was written into law.
- 1953 – Maurice du Pont Lee of Wellington, Delaware gathered a small group and formed a consulting and advisory service for small businesses
- 1963 – More than 50 independent groups across the country were providing low-cost or no-cost business counseling
- October 5, 1964 – SBA Administrator Eugene P. Foley officially launched SCORE as a national volunteer group with 2,000 members, uniting independent efforts into a national force, with 11,000 volunteers and 300 chapters today and growing.
- 1970 – Walter H. Channing of Detroit Michigan serves as the first president of SCORE.
- 1975 – SCORE was formally incorporated into a 501(c)(3) nonprofit association
- 1976 – Fresno SCORE Chapter #0380 was chartered May 4, 1976
- 2000 – John H Titley of Ashland, Oregon bequests $250,000, which establishes The SCORE Foundation. Titley was a past president of SCORE.
- 2001 – SCORE counselors donate more than 1 million hours of service to the small business community in 2001.
- 2004 – – SCORE receives Award of Excellence from the American Society of Association Executives for the positive impact SCORE counseling has on American society.
- 2009 – SCORE women’s success blog wins 2009 interactive media Awards for Outstanding Achievement.
- 2009 - Re-Branding – SCORE, removes all reference to “Service Core of Retired Executives”, from all marketing materials with a new SCORE logo and acronym of “Counselors to America’s Small Business.”
- 2009 – SCORE celebrates 45 years of volunteer service to America’s entrepreneurs
- 2010 – SCORE forms new broadband consortium to help small businesses adopt broadband.
- 2010 – SCORE honors Ken Yancey CEO of SCORE with first-ever small business corporate support award.
- 2010 – Fresno SCORE 0380 receives “District Chapter of The Year”
- 2011 – SCORE serves 9 millionth client
- 2011 – SCORE launches “Veterans Fast Launch” program in support of White House ‘Joining Forces Initiative. www.vetsfastlaunch.org
- 2011 – SCORE launches new website that takes business mentoring to the next level. This was achieved with a $1.25M donation from a Broad Band Consortium. The website development formed over the next 24 months to what you see today www.score.org, considered the “Best Business Resource Website” in the country.
- 2009 to 2013 – Fresno SCORE grows from 5 volunteers to 35, with Diversity and increased services of 55%.
- 2010 – – Fresno SCORE launches “Quick Start to Start Your Business”, series with 45 attendees. Program re-named due TM used to “Simple Steps to Start Your Business” provided a flagship series. In 2011 attendance grew to 300 for the series.
- 2011 - Fresno SCORE awarded 2nd, “District Chapter of the Year”
- 2011 – – Formation of SCORE Advisory Board. A grass roots group of Community Leaders providing a network awareness and financial support. Many remain active today with financial support and guest speakers supporting our Mission and Vision.
- 2013 – – Fresno SCORE, recruits new volunteers and leadership rapidly expanding educational workshops and seminars. The formation of Diversity Outreach Team launched Simple Steps to Start Your Business “Español”, September 2013.
- 2014 – Fresno SCORE receives its largest grant from Wells Fargo $50,000, with 15 new Hispanic volunteers and best year performance with Diversity.
- 2014 – – SCORE celebrate its “50th Anniversary”, and year of celebration announcements.
- 2015 – Fresno SCORE launches Rural Outreach with its Resource Partners and Goal Recruiting Program to increase membership to 50 with Diversity.
- July 2019 – OIG Audit was critical of SCORE’s financial use of Federal monies and the slow progress of centralized accounting. Changes were made at leadership with the resignation of Ken Yancey, who served as CEO for 23 years. Bridget Weston was introduced as the interim CEO in July 2019 and opened the August National Leadership Conference. Bridget was an excellent choice with her 10-year tenure at SCORE experiencing the challenges and changes. Centralized Accounting was finally consolidated September 2019, for all chapters and bank accounts. SCORE operated without disruption during this period.
January 2020 – The future is BRIGHT for SCORE as we continue the journey to celebrate our next 50 Years with the Launch of:
- SCORE Engage, SCORE’s new Client Relationship Management (CRM) system – to be fully implemented by 2021.
- New help.score.org – “How Can We Help You” search for knowledge and common questions.
- Volunteer Match – Intake of new applications nationwide
- ZOOM for mentors and chapters
- Refreshed Volunteer Center and easy search for: Communications & Announcements, Accounting, Client Support, Event Support, Store, Life-long Learning, Marketing & Promotion, Tech Support, Field Operations, and Volunteer Support.
- SOM updated and consolidated with easy search and Whistle Blower Policy
- Startup Roadmap – guide for client’s journey from business idea to reach your destination step-by-step directions, minimizing detours and dead ends for success. And an experienced mentor can be your guide along the way. Program for Mentees and Mentors the journey for success.
SCORE has its challenges as many aging organizations. It was not long-ago service clubs like Rotary and country clubs’ that women were not allowed membership. The future of SCORE is INCLUSION regardless of life cycle, gender or ethnicity. SCORE is making great strides in leadership with Inclusion, Onboarding, Training and with its best resourceYOU the dedicated men and women of SCORE. My tenure with SCORE has been a joyous journey meeting so many wonderful people and friendships developed over the years.